Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My daughter had a blood test today which stated she had a

Customer Question

My daughter had a blood test today which stated she had a very low white blood cell count but wanted to diagnose a stool sample. Why would they want to do that?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: Over two months, major fatigue, dizziness, trouble sleeping, lethargy which makes it difficult to work, poor appetite, weight loss. She is 20.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

How tall is she? How much does she weigh? How many pounds did she lose? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Any other symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, fever? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Is her stress increased at home or work since over two months ago? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any drugs? Alcohol? Smoking? Any family medical history? What tests and imaging studies did she have so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 5'3. She weighs 110 and is continuing to lose weight. Seems to be consistent. No diarrhea. No stress. No surgeries. No drugs, alcohol, etc. She is constantly lethargic, feels fluish, she has had the initial blood test, they are waiting to do stool sample.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has had chills , night sweats
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

They suspect infection (sepsis) or tumor in the intestine. Is she in the ICU?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet, they want still sample.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stool
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Does she have abdominal pain?

Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Any imaging studies?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No imaging yet. Yes, abdominal pain
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Exactly where is the pain? On a scale of 0-10, what is it with 0 bing no pain? What is it like? Does it radiate to somewhere else?