Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Just seeking information... I have recently had a MAJOR bout of food poisoning and lost a lot of bile ( 3 nights ago)...

Customer Question
Just seeking information.... I...
Just seeking information.... I have recently had a MAJOR bout of food poisoning and lost a lot of bile ( 3 nights ago) I know have clay colored stool and I am wondering if I need to replace bile acids/salts somehow... ?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not yet. I take mutivitimins and macrodantin q daily. I know see that macrodantin may not be very healthy for liver function and I may need to take a break from that...
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: homocystenuria..... controlled with low protein intake, b6, b12 and folic acid.
JA: Huh?
Customer: rare. protein in the blood - not broken down properly like yours.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: Just for the past few days. Suspicious though. Since losing so much bile. result is brain fog + clay color stool. I am still on baby food, rice and soup...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
6/22/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is not necessary for you to alter your diet to replace bile salts. Your body and liver will be able to readily form plenty of new bile salts from your diet.

Some of the bile salts are created by the action of good germs in your gut, and a recent infection may flush the good germs out of your gut. It may help recovery from an infection of the gut to use a probiotic supplement to replenish the good germs in the gut, but replenishing the good germs is usually more helpful in reliving any nagging residual symptoms than to help in restoring normal levels of bile salts.

The only other issue to consider when passing clay colored stool would be whether there is any active inflammation of the liver or gallbladder disease. Some amount of inflammation of the liver can occur with infections of the gut, and as long as the symptoms from the food poisoning is getting better, then there is no reason for further evaluation. However, if you are mostly getting better, but are having increasing or persistent pain in the right upper abdomen, it may be better to discuss this with your doctor and to consider blood tests of liver function or an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder.

In summary, then, there is no need to alter the diet, although a probiotic may help to replenih the good germs in the gut. As long as the symptoms of the food poisoning is improving, then no other interventions are necessary, but if there is increasing or persistent pain in the right upper abdomen, then further evaluation may be necessary.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Excellent reply! Thank you very much. This information has been very helpful.

You are most welcome.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor