Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

My husband cannot sleep more than 3 or 4 hour a night

Customer Question

My husband cannot sleep more than 3 or 4 hour a night because of painful leg cramps. They start a couple of hour after he goes to bed. He walks them off and goes back to bed, only to have them hit in another hour. He finally just gets up. He takes Calcium, magnesium, and potassium. He has tried pickle juice, gatorade,tonic water, and quinine. What kind of a Dr. could help him?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Since how long your husband has the symptoms of painful leg cramps?

Does he have any known medical illness?

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The night leg cramps your husband is having are very common in elderly age.The exact cause of night leg cramps isn't known.Most common causes of such cramp pain are:

-Low potassium levels,
-Muscle overextension
-Dehydration,
-Diabetes,
-Neuro muscular disorders,
-Excessive alcohol,
-Peripheral vascular disease.
-Unknown causes.

Following helps to relieve the night leg cramps:Stretching and massaging the affected muscle,applying a cold pack to the affected muscle,taking a hot bath,using a pillow to prop the feet up in bed while sleeping on your back,supplementation with vitamin B12 & gabapentin.

Also he may need certain prescription medications for which he needs to make an appointment with internal medicine doctor/family physician.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had leg cramps his entire life. He was run over by a truck at 18 months. This could be the problem. He doesn't have any of the causes you listed. Does not drink , have diabetes or etc.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Okay,as he had a history of an injury where he was run over by a truck,so he needs to consult an orthopaedic doctor.X-ray & other tests will be done & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Till than he can take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help him greatly.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Is there anything else that you would like to know. I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh