Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Saturday I noticed a red bruise like area on my left side

Customer Question
below my areola. The breast...
Saturday I noticed a red bruise like area on my left side below my areola. The breast is now swollen and itches and burns as well as pain in my shoulder blade. I have been to the ER and the doctor standing at least 10 feet away saw the red spot didn't come over look at it nothing and said girl you got shingles then they have t a blood test still did not come over and examine my breasts nothing after he came back from the blood test he said yes you have shingles I have had shingles before I also have HPV virus I do not have the tingling sensation that shingles have I don't have any of that my breast is just bigger than it was when I first found the spot on my breast and I'm not getting any relief I have also taken the antibiotic for the shingles that everything that I was supposed to do it's not I have no tingling sensation where that spot is on my breasts burning and itching and my breast shape has changed
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: No and it is just in the breast area that it itches and nothing seems to change the itching and burning and I have been dealing with this since Saturday and it is now Monday
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: to mammograms came back that they found stuff and one ultrasound
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2016
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi

Please attach a picture here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the second time I have had an explained bruise on my breast
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I asked about IBC and have not been directed to a specialist yet.

How old are you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
42
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My grandmother was diagnosed at 45 with breast cancer and had a mastectomy.

OK

So a mammogram and ultrasound are indicated.

This is not shingles from what I can see.

Without a lump, It is not likely IBC.

I think it is most likely mastitis.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I still get that not breast feeding and after hysterectomy?

Yes.

Positive rating please

Top of the page.

Find me as needed after that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For peace of mind I feel comfortable seeing a specialist just to make sure. Thanks. I have had no discharge from my nipple nothing just breast shape change itching burning and pain.

It looks like a superficial infection, allergy, or irritation, not shingles.

I am an adult medicine specialist.

It does not look characteristic for cancer, but you are over due on a mammogram.

That should be done.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't feel like you are reading my statements. I had two failed mammograms so that means I've already had two I'm not overdue for one. Ugh I'm going to a specialist thought this would help.

OK

that is on the lower part of the intake, which was initially cut off.

Sorry about that.

Then, if you have recent negative mammograms, this is not IBC.

IN fact, it supports inflammation from allergy, infection, etc.

If there is any blistering, which I do not see, it could be shingles.

I suggest that you simply need to go to an internist.

The ER is not going to follow up with you.

In the case of shingles, often, no medicine helps.

It has to run its course.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician