Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can I put any medication on my staples 10 days after surgery? I had a plate and 8 screws removed from my femur.

Customer Question
Can I put any medication...
Can I put any medication on my staples 10 days after surgery?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2016
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

On which part have doctor used staples? which surgery was done?

Which medication, do you want to use on staples?

Are you getting redness/ swelling/ itching at site of staples?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a plate and 8 screws removed from my femur. I have 20 staples I was covering it with non stick adhesive pads with adhesive stips it is slitly pink and the place I put the strips itches.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Yes, you can safely cover area with a thin layer of antibiotic ointment and cover it with a nonstick bandage.

Yes, antibiotic ointment and nonsticky bandage can be safely used on Staples.

This would prevent any infection.

Also, itching would get resolve with such ointment.

You can take OTC Zyrtec, it would resolve itching.

In case, you have- redness, swelling, pain and severe pain, bleeding then it should be immediately checked by doctor.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 56 years old and can't use bandages on my arms cause it pulls my skin off or gets severely fed. I have sedative skin

Dear,

You can apply Bacitracin ointment on staples.

This cream would stop or prevent bacterial infections by either killing susceptible bacteria or inhibiting their growth.

It would resolve itching sensation.

You can use this cream, and keep affected area open.

God bless you and take care.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear,

If you have any further question then you can ask me.
I'm here to discuss further query until you get satisfaction.
Thanks.

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor