DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have had a bulge on my left side right up under my rib

Customer Question

I have had a bulge on my left side right up under my rib cage, approximately 8 in. wide and 5 in. tall that has been causing severs to chronic pain since the middle of Sept. My internal medicine PCP says he cant see this and tends to ignore it although he sent me to pain management where they prescribed Gabapentin and hydrocdone 7.5 for the pain. This is only middle of the road effective. My doctor says the C-T scan shows nothing. I have been off work since the middle of Mar. and am starting to get desperate with being ignored. Who should I tell my PCP I want to see to get some relief?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

HI

Sorry to hear about your problem

please provide me with some more information so that i can help you better

Since how long do you have this swelling?

Is there any recent change in its size?

Has it got painful recently?

Is it just below your rib cage on your abdominal wall?

Do you have any known medical condition or are you using any medicine?

Is this a hard swelling or a soft one?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

With a negative CT scan there is not a mass or protrusion in this area.

This is an area where gas can get trapped however.

This would not show up on CT scan.

In addition, if you have ever had surgeries, adhesions could do this, and you would need an MRI.

CT will not show adhesions.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/