Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I strongly believe I have hyperthyroidism. I'm only 29. I

Customer Question
I strongly believe I have...
I strongly believe I have hyperthyroidism. I'm only 29. I need to see a dr asap.. any advice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2016
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Well can you tell me what symptoms do you have? And are you asking about which doctor to see for management for hyperthyroidism?

Well since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response for you which we can discuss later on if you want

Hyperthyroidism is a disease which can affect young patients as well, particularly young females and when it does affect the young age group it is more likely to be autoimmune in nature. That means the cause of the hyperthyroidism is possibly due to the action of the antibodies produced by the body itself. Two of the common causes in young females can be graves disease and hashimotos thyroiditis or even autoimmune thyroiditis. In Hashimotos thyroiditis, there is a paradoxical issue, initially in early stages of the disease you will show symptoms of hyperthyroidism when the thyroid is inflammed however later on you would develop hypothyroidism once the thyroid gland is damaged.

In graves disease, there are other signs of the disease apart from the usual symptoms of hyperthyroidism. These include outwards bulging eyes and pigmentation on the shin.

Now both of these diseases can be detected during a thorough clinical examination and history as well as by getting specific tests done which can include tests like anti TPO antibodies, anti thyroglobulin antibodies along with the thyroid function tests.

If you do have symptoms like hair loss, sweating, palpitations, tremors, increased appetite, weight loss, irritability, shortness of breath then you DO need to see a doctor and it would be preferable to see an ENDOCRINOLOGIST who would be able to manage hyperthyroidism as well as the cause for it. If that isnt possible then a simple INTERNIST is also well equipped to manage hyperthyroidism.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor