Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have cerebral spinal Vasculitis, treated with IVIG,

Customer Question
cellcept, prednisone and plaque nil...
I have cerebral spinal Vasculitis, treated with IVIG, cellcept, prednisone and plaque nil, and have developed pleurisy. My oral prednisone dose is at 25 Mg and still in pain. Will talk to my rheumatologist tomorrow, but am looking for information. Nora Grossman
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Pain for two weeks with the only relief being an increase in steroids. It hurts when I breathe or move wrong.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I am a challenge, so it is important for me to succinctly cover issues. My files are complete, since all of the other things have been going on since January, including a TIA. My question is if IV high dose steroids given for a week might be more effective than oral dosages? The issues are diabetes control, depression and sleep.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
6/14/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

the pleurisy pain getting better with the steroid therapy is a sign the pain is being caused by autoimmune issues.

most likely high doses of IV steroids will work better for you than oral steroids

as you know high doses of steroids have bad side effects like high blood sugars, depression, poor sleep,

but you might have to undergo these side effect for 1 week to get this pleurisy pain inflammation down

it sounds like you have been through this high dose IV steroids for 1 week before and you know the effects on your body.

do you sleep better after the one week of high dose steroids?

Family Physician, Doctor