How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46694
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do you do when your colon is irritated and have

Customer Question

What do you do when your colon is irritated and have problems having a bowel movement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you can try taking stool softeners like Colace (docusate sodium) 100mg 1-3 times a day to help soften your stool to help with bowel movements.

taking probiotics and eating yogurt like Activia can help add more good bacteria into your bowels

drinking more water and fluids can help

eating more fiber or eating prunes or drinking prune juice can help some patients

regular exercise can help your bowels move better as well.

you should see a GI docdor and get a bowel transit study performed to see how quickly or slowly your bowels are moving things through your system. there might be prescription medications which can help your bowels move better as well

thyroid hormone levels should be checked. low thyroid hormone levels can sometimes cause slow moving bowels

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have any other questions?