How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18459
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a jeep for two hours and the exhaust was pretty bad

This answer was rated:

I was in a jeep for two hours and the exhaust was pretty bad will I have a positive etg

Hello from JustAnswer.

The exhaust from an engine will typically not cause a positive EtG test. The only real issue with cars and gas would be the gasolines that contain alcohol, or gasohol. Breathing the fumes of gasohol could expose you to sufficient alcohol to cause a positive EtG test, and that likelihood would increase for more prolonged exposures or exposures in enclosed spaces. When the gasohol is burned in the engine, the products of combustion are no longer alcohol, so would not cause a positive EtG test.

If you only use standard gas in the Jeep, then there is not even the issue of fumes from gasohol. If you do use gasohol and you were in a situation in which you were breathing the fumes of the gasohol, not the exhaust, then it could cause a positive EtG.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is gasohol

It is a gasoline that contains alcohol, typically only up to 10% alcohol. At the gas station, the pump would have a label that specifies whether there is alcohol in the gasoline.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the exhaust is what I was breathing I didn't pump the gas it was while driving so I should be okay

Yes, you should be OK if the only exposure was to the exhaust.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at

Dr. D. Love and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you