Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

Black specks in stool, I'm freaking out. I have tons of

Customer Question

Black specks in stool
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I'm freaking out. I have tons of these black specks all throughout my stool. It's mixed all through it. I can't find anything on it. Some say blood some say bacteria die off. Some say bananas. I am taking amoxicillin for h. Pylori. My doctor said if it were blood it would be all black. I'm not sure opi brlive him now because I see in this site and others that blood can be like coffee grounds or black sand mixed in
JA: In general, how has your health been lately? How long have you been dealing with the issue?
Customer: I've had h. Pylori for 2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.

Greetings

• Generally black stool means bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract, the stomach or duodenum. The stool tends to be all black. If you are bleeding intermittently (small amount of blood), then you could have partly black stool.
  • And, YES, other cause leading to this appearance include food particles such as fruits, particularly bananas.
  • Stool can be tested for blood easily, by using "EZ Detect" test, available over the counter. If the test is positive, then these specks are blood
  • And, you may also stop eating fruits and bananas for few days and see if these black specks disappear
  • Generally, if the blood test is negative, they are of no concern

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Let me know if you have any further questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok small amounts of blood would still be partly black as in a section of it? Not black sand mixed in brown stool?? To clarify there are hundreds of thousands of black gritty particles. They stay gritty and do not change when mixed with water. I imagine if it was old blood being mixed with water would dissolve the particle into a smear. I do actually have ez detect here. If I just toss it in the toilet water (which is how it says) there's no blood. If I touch the stool to the strip (which it was NOT designed for) it is positive. Maybe from red meat I ate or chicken
  • Then it is negative for blood.
  • You will need stool analysis: A sample submitted to the lab for analysis which should also include blood testing for confirmation. This will give details of what these specks are. This test will require a request for analysis through your doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my response?

Are you using probiotics by any chance? What antibiotics do are you suing exactly? Have you had problem with constipation ?