Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am cold turkey getting off methadone. I was taking ten a day. I feel nervous and sweaty. I do take xanax.

Customer Question
What are the symptoms of...
I am cold turkey getting off methadone. I was taking ten a day. I feel nervous and sweaty. I do take xanax. What are the symptoms of withdrawal off methadone ? Will xanax help me feel better? I have to go to work no matter what. I'm scared of the withdrawal feelings of methadone
JA: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: No fever no other conditions. My back hurts a little. What are withdrawal symptoms like
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No that's all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
6/10/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

you should not cold turkey come off of methadone

this is a bad bad idea

why are you doing this

if you want to come off of methadone, you need a long slow taper schedule with your doctor to come off

if you go cold turkey, you can get bad withdraw symptoms, nausea vomiting, cramps, pains, anxiety, sweats and worse.

xanax is not the right help

you need a long slow taper

what dose are you taking of methadone before?

do you have other questions?

Family Physician, Doctor