How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64705
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been taking 5/325 hydrocodone along with gabapenten for

Customer Question

I've been taking 5/325 hydrocodone along with gabapenten for acute nerve pain in my wrist and hand , also for 5 back surgeries which have mounted up into chronic pain in my lumbar area, 1 and 1/2 pill every 6 hours and it seems to numb the pain for me. Now with the recent scare of everyone over dosing my primary doctor will not subscribe it for me any longer. I'm not an addict but I would like to continue this remedy since it helps me cope with this very painful wrist hand and back. life is a bitch isn't it. I am 73 years old
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I'm trying to find a local pain clinic but I've been through physical therapy and its just creates more pain. I've been to a neurologist twice and he recommended surgery which I had done, but i still have more pain. I went for a 2nd opinion but the doc said I'll have to learn to live with pain, easy for her to say right.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don't understand why I can't keep my daily usage of 6 - 5/325 hydro which controls or numbs my pain. I visit my primary Doctor every thirty days for a check up also.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


I am not sure what you are asking us.

Looking at your suggestion, I recommend you find a pain management specialist.

They are less adverse to using this drug.

And your amount sounds reasonable, as long as physical therapy and other methods

are adhered to.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Otherwise, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here