Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My dad has diabetes and prolapse of lumbar intervertebral

Customer Question
Hello, My dad has diabetes...
Hello, My dad has diabetes and prolapse of lumbar intervertebral disc. He is currently in China and he has been eating dietary supplement (glucosamine). Do you have any suggestion of what he should do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
6/5/2016
Doctor: Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Nadim Al-Mubarak

Greetings

I am happy to help, but I need some more information: Was he just diagnosed with this, or was this established prior to his trip to China? How is now? Is he having active problem/pain? What is the specific active problem for today?

It is not possible to give you a viable advise without getting more details. Many people have prolapsed disks, yet they are able to function well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the late response doctor. Myself is an undergrad at Case. My dad is a Chinese, and he was diagnosed of diabetes and prolapsed disks around March and April, it seems these two diseases come together all at once. I have bought some supplement at the local pharmacy but some of them may contain glucosamine etc, which I am not sure if he should take. My dad feels painful no matter stand, sit or walk and he can't have a good night of sleep. We are in China currently so most doctors in China do not recognize those supplement so we really need some help. My dad hope he could cure or relieve the pain without taking therapy.

Greetings

• It is possible to treat disc prolapse without surgery. That depends on the degree of prolapse and the associated symptoms. If there is no neurological deficit or symptoms, and the pain is controllable, then there is nothing wrong with this conservative approach
  • Pain is typically controlled with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, tylenol, local injections of narcotics, occationally narcotic painkillers
  • This should be complimented with physical therapy
  • Glucosamine may or may not help. There is no harm trying it, and it does not affect the blood sugar, and does not interfere with the diabetes control

Let me know if you have any further questions. If satisfied, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What exercise could my dad do? They told him he should eat base a 2000 cal diet but when he exercises(walk), he exceeds 2000 cals everyday. He became pretty thin right now so we are confused how much he should eat and what exercise should be done.
Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor