How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mam is 80 years old and she has so many diseases as

Customer Question

Hi Doctor,
My Mam is 80 years old and she has so many diseases as diabetes and heart problems. Now she is started complaining of smell something like "burned plastic" or " fire smoke" coming up her throat through her nose out of her body !
She is using so many medications now like:
1-Aciloc 40 mg
2-Lasix 40 mg
3-Concor 2.5 mg
4-Amaryl 2 mg
5-Zocor 20 mg
6-Diovan 40 mg
Can you please determine the problem and treatment ? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

we are doctors here online here to answer medical questions

we can't examine your mother or run tests

but we can give suggestions for testing and some medical advise.

acid reflux of stomach acid coming up from the stomach can come up the throat and cause burning and sour taste in the back of the mouth and sore throat. this can be treated with stomach acid reducing medications like avoiding spicy foods, tomato sauces, oily foods and not eating close to bed time and eating smaller healthier meals.

she may have a sinus infection in her sinuses which can affect her sense of smell and cause smelling smoke. she may need a course of antibiotics to treat a bacteria sinus infection or allergy medications to help calm down sinus inflammation

does she have a GP doctor she can see who she can talk to about these issues?