Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Stomach pain that comes and goes, I was naseated for about a

Customer Question
Hi JA: Hello. What is your...
Hi
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Stomach pain that comes and goes
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I was naseated for about a week and went to er and they done labs and all was normal but lately I been have like stinging pains that come and go in the abdomen. I'm a hyprocondract and I think everything is cancer
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Have no galbladder
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
5/31/2016
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Before we proceed further can i ask where exactly in the abdomen do you experience the pain, on the right side or left? just underneath the ribcage or near the navel? Any other symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea? Burning in the chest etc? Any other medical conditions or medications you might be on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems to be right where the scar is from the laperscoptic surgery.. other pains are just like different spots

Thank you for the additional information.

There are a couple of things which can cause this sort of pain, the first one which comes to mind is that you could have post cholecystectomy syndrome. This is a condition which can occur several weeks to years after the procedure. The common symptoms associated with it are colicky pain in the region of the surgery, diffuse pain in the abdomen, jaundice, diarrhea or altered bowel habits. It is possible that the pain is arising from the ampulla of vater, if this is the case then treatment can be with calcium channel blockers or even with other anti spasmodics. The diagnosis is made by excluding other causes, it may need geting repeat ultrasonography done or even a ERCP in some severe cases.

Now another cause of this pain can be due to a problem with the stomach itself. Presence of ulcers in the stomach or the duodenum which is the first part of the small intestine can lead to pain in this region. It can also cause black colored stools if the ulcers are bleeding. Other symptoms can include burning pain in the region, chest burning or pain which worsens after eating or even on an empty stomach. An endoscopy would be useful in diagnosing this problem.

Now i would suggest that you visit a gastroenterologist and discuss with him the possibility of post cholecystectomy syndrome and at the same time have ulcers excluded as a diagnosis.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?

Doctor: Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Nadim Al-Mubarak

Greetings

This a diferent expert. I have a different answer for you

• This is unlikely to be post-cholecystectomy syndrome. It is not unusual to have some mild pain/discomfort from the surgical scar which is most likely what you feel
  • Other sources of such pain include irritable bowel syndrome which if you are an anxious person is fairly common, in addition to stomach and duodenal ulcer. Non of these is serious
  • You have not given any information to suggest cancer.You should not worry about this. In the process of evaluating your pain by your gastroenterologist, this will be looked into.
  • If you are 50 years or above and have not had a screening colonoscopy yet, you need one and that also will look into the question of cancer.

Let me know if you have any further questions. If this asnwers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a colonosapy about 4 years ago and a endoscopy as well... all showed normal at the time... I have felt bloated sense I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago...it's on and off...
  • That certainly good and reassuring.
  • You will need to see your gastroenterologist soon. Although your symptoms do not suggest cancer, the endoscopy/Colonscopy might need to be repeated in light of the new symptoms. Abdominal ultrasound is also a consideration for the reasons and possibilities listed above
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One more thing I forgot to mention is I have a hernia beside my belly button

Well, that is also on top of the list among the things that could cause your pain, perhaps the number one reason for your pain. It is easily treatable, fairly small surgery

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could that cause pain higher up? I didn't know if it was localized or would radiate elsewhere...
  • You worry about cancer, yet you have at least 2 good benign reason for your pain.
  • Yes, any of these could cause pain higher up.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry... it's just that I almost died when I had my gallbladder removed.. they cut the bile duct and didn't know tell I could not hardly breath cause of the pain so they done exploratory and found it so I had to have a ercp and it cause me to have really bad health anxiety
  • I am so glad you survived it. This complication is very rare and hopefully you will go through similar again.
  • That would also support the scar tissue as one of the sources for pain. Scar after open surgery is larger and causes more discomfort than the laparoscopic one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They went back through the same insisions as the first... no open surgery.... I'm sure the bile could leave behind scar tissue as well

Yes, it is typically larger though, they must have expanded the original incision

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure. I know I have four scars about an inch long...

These are enough to cause pain

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you sir

You are very welcome. Wish you the best

If this answers our question, please compete the rating above. That's how we get credit for the service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can you tell if your constipated or not
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

if you don't have daily bowel movements. if your bowel movements are hard and large and hard to push out.

these are signs you are constipated

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would cause the xiphoid process to hurt when stretching... mostly when going back to the relaxed position

If you had a trauma, or if you strained it during coughing, or working in the yard, lifting weight etc. Keep in mind, that it might not be xiphoid that is hurting, but rather the stomach or intestine, therefore, you are advised to have this checked out as we discussed few days ago.

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It hurts if I touch it not bad but some

Then, it's most likely strain, which is harmless and can respond to Advil or tylenol.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have only been going to the restroom when I wake up but it's not a whole lot... I have no major pain though.. what could this be

This is Dr. David

it is very normal to go to the restroom when you wake up.

are you urinating or having a bowel movement when you wake up?

if you are not urinating a lot in the morning, it could be because you are not drinking enough fluids when you wake up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do both but number 2 is not much. I been have stomach issues with bloating for years had colonoscopy about 4 years ago and it was normal.. I made a mistake and Google and now I'm freaking out about colon cancer. How can you eat normal and go very little and not hurt bad

you don't have colon cancer.

it sounds like your anxiety is getting out of control with worry here

the different foods you eat causes your bowels to move at different rates.

you will not always have the same volume of bowel movements as the food you eat.

regular exercise and taking probiotics can help decrease bloating.

eating healthier foods and avoiding junk foods, empty carbohydrates, and avoiding fast foods and processed foods can help your bowel as well.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician