Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

I have always had regular bowel movements, generally once in

Customer Question

I have always had regular bowel movements, generally once in the morning and once in the evening. 18 months ago there were a few changes to my lifestyle, namely: I shifted to exercising in the mornings 2-3 times a week, my breakfast and lunch timings shifted forward by a few hours, and my work timings increased. Normally, I would eat at 8 am,1pm, 5pm and 10 pm, but this shifted to roughly 10 am, 2.30 pm and 8 pm, with the evening meal not happening regularly any more. Around this time, my bowel movements changed to twice in the morning, and none in the evenings. In the past 4-5 months, after the second motion in the morning, there is still a feeling of incomplete evacuation & I need to go once again after breakfast. Additionally, I feel that I foods like beans give me more gas than they used to. I am Male, 32, eat 4-5 servings of fruit/veg daily and in good health. Any suggestions on possible reasons for this would be appreciated. I am concerned that there may be an underlying problem
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, you see it is because of your shift in the timings of meals by approximately 2 to 3 hours per meal plus absence of regular evening meals which together have contributed to your change in the defecation pattern. Earlier you used to take the evening meals which was essential for causing bowel movements in the evening but since you most often tend to skip the evening meals so there is no bowel movement in the evening and therefore whatever you have eaten since morning gets accumulated in the body and it takes two times of voiding to get rid of the feces of the previous day hence you feel the incomplete evacuation after first bowel movement the morning after.

This does not seem to be any organic or physical condition but this seems to be occurring due to change in eating habits, that's all. If you want to double check this then you may go back to your previous eating plan and stay put on the same for 3 to 4 weeks at least so that you can once again appreciate the two times that is morning and evening voiding of feces.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor, My eating habits changed 18 months ago, but there has been no further change in my eating habits or routine in the past 5-6 months when the need for a third defecation began. This is what is concerning me. The quantity of food consumed is pretty much the same, there has been no change in dietary or lifestyle habits or any changes to my routine. My work is in the healthcare space and I keep track of the foods I eat and the amount I exercise, and I am confident that there has been no change before the onset of the need for a third motion. I would like to add that the third motion is a much smaller quantity and is sometimes just an urge with barely anything being passed. People I have spoken to have mentioned a possible chronic protozoal infection or the onset of IBS, which is what has me concerned. Could it be one of these conditions? Assuming that it is not a change in eating habits, what else could it be?

Thanks for the inputs.

Well, it does not seem like that there is either chronic protozoal infection or onset of IBS from your symptoms, as such a minor change in defecation does not amount to be significant, however, you may get a stool routine microscopy examination done to see if there is any infective micro-organsisms or their cysts found in the stool. Following this investigation based on the finding your doctor may decide whether to pursue stool culture if at all the need arises.

So as such i do not feel there would be something significant of a finding upon examination but this would eventually put to rest your concerns. May i also add here that minor dietary changes can bring about this sort of minor change in defecation , so do not discount that plus also do consider the fact that with growing age ( although you are very young but still ) people tend to experience changes in their bowel as well as bladder habits without any major organic reasons.

I hope this sums it up for you.

Wish you all the best.

Regards