Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm afraid that my family & I have had pubic lice for years

Customer Question
now. We have tried permethrin...
I'm afraid that my family & I have had pubic lice for years now. We have tried permethrin, ivermectin & numerous other products for ourselves for weeks at a time to get rid of them, as well as treatments for clothing & furniture, but it hasn't worked yet. It has gotten to the point where the lice are getting into our ears & causing infections. Is there any guaranteed course of treatment?
A comprehensive oral treatment would be preferred, if available, what would be the maximum possible dosage of ivermectin for us (2 adults, a 5 year old & a 3 year old) & how long could it be sustained to ensure eradication from ourselves & bedding, furniture, etc.?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
5/25/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

do you have animals in the home? you need them treated as well

how do you know you have lice? these could be fleas in the bedding and furniture or bed bugs

the maximium dose of ivermectin for adults is 12mg once a day for 7 days for 3 weeks given with food.

for children the dose is based on weight. 15-25kg 3mg, may repeat in 3 months

26-44kg 6mg with food, may repeat in 3 months.

45-64kg, 9mg

you need to have your doctor examine the family and the bug infetction to make sure it is lice

all of the bedding and furnature need to be treated with hot steam and bedding washed in hot water.

all the carpets and fabric need to be cleaned in the home.

all dead skin cells need to be cleaned away from the furniture.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

do you have any other questions?

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician