How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Josh Your Own Question
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5685
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Josh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lack of control of anus what can be done about this

Customer Question

Lack of control of anus what can be done about this
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.


Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.

In medical terms this condition is called as Fecal incontinence.

Possible causes for this condition are-
1. Damage to the rings of muscle at the end of the rectum , it helps to hold stool. It can cause loss of control on bowels.
2. Nerve damage
3. Infection like giardiasis may also cause anal leakage

4. Loss of elasticity of rectum due to chronic inflammation crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, aging.

To make a diagnose, you need to get these tests done-

Anorectal ultrasonography, Digital rectal exam, Complete blood count, Stool test.

Straining during bowel movements eventually may weaken anal sphincter muscles and, at times, lead to fecal incontinence, so avoid straining when possible.

You should try to deduce constipation. If this is the cause of your leakage, you need to up your fluid intake, fiber and exercise on a regular basis.

One should try to increase the tone of sphinter muscles by squeezing buttocks and pinching the anus- this will help strengthen the sphincter. These are called kegel exercises.

A thorough clinical examination and tests should be done for precise diagnosis.

I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards