Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm using prescribed Ketoconazole 2% (and clotrimazole

I'm using prescribed Ketoconazole 2%...
I'm using prescribed Ketoconazole 2% (and clotrimazole sometimes) for what I think is a moderate case of jock itch. It doesn't itch much and there's no significant rash, but scrotum and the inner thigh area between scrotum and thigh seems warmer than usual, more moist than usual, and sometimes a little sticky. I was thinking the area also has a bit of an odd smell, but I "think" that could be one of the creams I'm smelling.I was mostly using natural stuff like apple cider vinegar for a few weeks and that didn't do much, so I just started using the cream three days ago - twice daily after each shower. Also using a hair dryer to completely dry the area. I was also using Zeabsorb powder for a few days, and that made the area feel nice and dry and comfortable, but I had to stop using the powders because they were getting into my throat and nose (very hard not inhale the powder mist).My question - is it normal for the creams to make the area feel even more moist, uncomfortable, and smelly, and should I keep using the creams for two to three weeks regardless of that uncomfortable feeling they seem to create? I'd appreciate a good answer - thanks.
5/24/2016
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Hello,I'm Dr Chaithanya attending youI have seen similar patientsNow, your doubt is correct, creams will have uncomfortable feeling.First thing you have to do is to go to a doctor who can do KPH smear and confirm the fungal infection.Once infection is confirmed, doctor will prescribe oral antifungal course like tablet itracanozole.Along with that you can use cotrimaxazole powder in the area.This cures the infecton.Hope this helps.Best Regards
Dr Chaithanya
Any questions ask me or request to leave a positive rating.Any bonus I appreciate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My doc already prescribed one diflocan pill and the ketoconazole 2% cream. The symptoms seemed to reduce some in the several days after taking the diflocan pill, but didn't go away completely. My doc never did any testing, but he assumed it was tinea cruris causing the issue. KPH??? Do you mean KOH smear?

Hi, yes it is KOH smear, typing mistake

It is a good sign that you improve on diflucan

This means to say it is fungal infection

Also, if the fungal infection is chronic or severe, you need a course, one tablet is not sufficient.

You can take 5 or 7 tablets, one tablet once daily and stop.

This can cure.

Stop creams

Use powder

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I stopped using the powder because the powder mist was getting into my nose and throat, and causing a sore throat. I will ask my doc for more diflucan for up to seven days, then if that doesnt work completely (along with creams or powder), I'll go in for the KOH. Seems like that makes sense with most evidence pointing to fungal.

Ok, that is good. Please leave a positive rating.

Any bonus I appreciate

Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya