Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I am 17 and I play sports in high school and I always have

Customer Question

I am 17 and I play sports in high school and I always have shortness of breath where I have to stop and catch my breath this happens in running long distance, 4 laps in swimming and my tennis competitions, I have this for years, I have been checked for asthma, negative, I do have allergies to pollen, but I try to condition myself but I cannot get over this problem.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: What tests can my doctor perform to find out the issue, it seems professional atheletes are in top shape and maintain it, what are they doing, that we are not doing, could I be low in some vitamins, or should I take certain vitamins because I am becoming an athlete?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

You may be having exercise induced asthma which is not picked up by routine testing.

What kind of doctors have you seen for this as yet?

Have you been to a chest medicine specialist (pulmonologist)?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for anything?

Please let me know.

Regards