How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Stan Your Own Question
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1951
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Stan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a dear friend who has been grossly overweight, has

Customer Question

I have a dear friend who has been grossly overweight, has finally lost almost 100 pounds (due to swallowing issues, likely), is in a nursing home and has bad bed sores. The family has given up and I understand this. But it's worth asking: is there an effective treatment for bed sores? One of her CNAs indicated that there is a treatment where medication is applied directly to (in?) the sore as opposed to topical creams. She is 67. If there were some hope here, she might be able to be turned on her side for part of the day. I will tell you -- pretty much everyone has given up. However, she is a fabulous person and it's worth asking a doctor about an effective treatment for bedsores.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Dr Stan here to help you today. Yes there is effective treatment for bed sores with applied medication. Also, to prevent additional sores, turning side to side is also a requirement. Her doctor or the attending doctor at the nursing home will evaluate and order appropriate treatment. I hope this helps and I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. A positive rating is always appreciated.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

Your friend show also be evaluated for diabetes. If she has irregular blood sugars, that can interfere with the healing of bedsores. Keeping the wound moist, surgical debridement and many more therapies are available. Your friend can be successfully treated. Dr. Stan

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to get a doctor to begin therapy?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


At this point a wound specialist needs to be called in.

Creams and turning alone have clearly already been done.

There are not only newer agents that revitalize tissue, but this person probably needs surgical cleaning of some of the wounds.

The wound specialist is often a surgeon.

A comprehensive approach is needed.

Not simply CNA advice at this point.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

I agree and the starting point is her attending physician or the nursing home medical director.