Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am 71 years old and my psa went from 4.7 to 6.6 in one

Customer Question
year should I be concerned? JA...
I am 71 years old and my psa went from 4.7 to 6.6 in one year should I be concerned?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I saw a doctor last year and he suggested I should not worry. All my other blood work came back normal.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have asthma. I usually sleep through night without getting up to use the bathroom.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
5/19/2016
Doctor: Dr.Amita, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor

Thanks for your question.

PSA levels can vary from time to time and with increasing age PSA levels tend to rise.

To make sure that everything is normal you should have a digital prostate examination if not already done.If doctor has done the digital prostate examination and found it to be normal you should not worry.

In fact most professional organizations of doctors do not recommend PSA test as a screening tool for cancer above the age of 70 as PSA levels in men aged more than 70 are not reliable markers for cancer.

This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification.

If you are done do take a moment to rate my answer by clicking on the stars at the top of page as this is the only way we get paid for our work at this website.

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

In fact there are several studies that look at age specific PSA and its association with Prostate cancer.

You are just over the high end of normal for two of the three ranges based on these studies.

Although cancer is not likely to be agressive, it is possible you have it.

Digital rectal exam alone is not a good indicator for cancer, and should be combined with a free PSA measurement and probably a prostatic ultrasound.

With these measures, the likelihood of cancer can be estimated far more accurately.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician