DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I'm 56 years old and in 2009, when I was 49, I was diagnosed

Customer Question

Hello. I'm 56 years old and in 2009, when I was 49, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. I am a former ballerina and very much in shape until 49. I went from 118 lbs to 189 pounds in 6 months. While I was on the road to recovery in 2010, I was almost at my true weight, all of a sudden, I gained back 35 pounds. While I was undergoing thyroid and hormonal treatment (progesterone, estrogen and testosterone), in 2011, I gained another 35 lbs and what is so frustrating, my face has completely changed! My face went from a beautiful heartshape face to a round, moon face, so swollen! I used to have a long neck and now my neck is swollen and thick.....my shoulders are humped as well! While my doctor took my cortisol test and said it was okay, I can't understand why I look this way. Plus I am now 145 lbs! I am thirty pounds over. I believe I have Cushing's syndrome, but will be checking with my doctor. Please advise what tests I should take. Are there any supplements that can help me? Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you have a normal 24 hour urine collection for free cortisol you do not have cushings.

IT is more likely that your thyroid is undertreated.

Labs and most doctors think a normal TSH goes up to 4.5.

This is not true.

IN treated individuals, optimal tSH is around .8 for most people.

Above that is relatively hypothyroid.

Check your TSh.

I suspect that you need an increase in your thyroid hormone replacement.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/