Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Stool test positive for salmonella ridden. Is this rare and

Customer Question

Stool test positive for salmonella ridden. Is this rare and should i I be worried?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Hi christy,

Im sorry to hear about your test results. Can i ask did you have symptoms when you had this test done? Any diarrhea, abdominal pain , fever etc?

Coming to your test result, the presence of salmonella in the stool is indicative of an infection. This means that you are harbouring the bacteria. This doesnt necessarily mean that you have an active infection, it could be indicative of the fact that you are a carrier of the disease. If this is the case you would need to take precautions to prevent the spread of teh bacteria. A short course of antibiotics may be necessary as well. if you DO have any of the symptoms i mentioned above, then you would have an active infection and you would need antibiotics to have this treated. Usually oral cirpofloxacin at a dose of 750 mg twice daily is effective in eliminating the infection but a culture report would be more accurate in determining which antibiotic to use.

I would suggest that you visit your doctor and have the test evaluated and also get yourself examined for the presence of any active infection. This is NOT a normal test result and does require medical evaluation.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?