Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Lipase of 89 or 56 and the norm is ip to 50, Upper left side

Customer Question

Lipase of 89 or 56 and the norm is ip to 50
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Upper left side ache, nauseated at times but not bad, started 11 years ago ended u in the hospital but i do t think the doc's did anything except xray. Sent home. Lost 12 lb, went on bland diet and took nexium for some time. Took me a while to gain it back. Had ct with contrast done a month later. Normal. Same thing happened 4 yrs later. Some weight loss, some nausea, bland diet again. 2 yrs ago got pregnant, easy pregnancy, just gastritis was so bad i couldnt eat much. After pregnancy blood work done, lipase constantly mildly elevated, lab norm -10-50u/l, mine 61 checked 2 months later 56 thaen a month later 50...had a ct scan again, mri twice, last one a month ago checking specifically for pancreatitis, normal result, endoscopy showed mild chronic gastritis, after pregnancy wbc always below norm, slightly, some slight dilation of one kidney floor, checked that, ok so far
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Sorry pressed enter too early, lately was ill with flu i quess, had one episode of dirrahea, 3 days later went for blood work, lipase at 89 with lab norm 10-50. Scared my pancreas is getting damaged and ct or mri or ultrasound dont show it. Sometimes if too much food eaten at o e sitting especially fat feel nauseated a bit
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your condition. Now considering that you have undergone several tests specifically to look for pancreatitis and they have all turned out to be normal, it is unlikely that you have pancreatitis, acute or chronic. This is because a MRI is very specific for pancreatitis and if there was any inflammation or even scarring on the pancreas it would have been picked up on it. Since there is no evidence of pancreatitis and you do have history of gastritis in the past, i believe the elevated lipase can be the result of your stomach issues. Lipase although specific for pancreatitis can also be elevated in other diseases as well, one of which is peptic ulcer disease or even inflammation of the stomach (gastritis). Your lipase levels are not too elevated and this sort of elevation can be the result of stomach issues or even salivary gland inflammation or in some cases kidney disease.

Considering the pain which you have intermittently and the nausea that you experience as well, it is likely that it is related to your gastritis. Another possiblilty which can be ruled out is that you could have gallbladder diseases which would be missed on CT scans and an abdominal USG would be more specific for gallbladder diseases.

I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about restarting nexium if you do have symptoms and getting screened for gallbladder issues. The dilation of the kidney floor, i assume you mean to say that you have slight pelvicalyceal dilatation which can be indicative of obstruction of the ureters etc and this too should be rechecked later on as it is not an emergency.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?