Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Why sometimes i feel lower left jaw ache or tooth ache just

Customer Question
when stop cardio exercising (...
Why sometimes i feel lower left jaw ache or tooth ache just when stop cardio exercising ( i do extreme cardio exercises like burpees running up stairs 10 flights of stairs one shot .
Pls note that i did through a routine check upbsince a year
Stress test & it was negative (reached to 103 % of my target ).
I did 2 weeks ago also through a routine check up as i participated in a crossfit team but they asked me to do the following:
EKG : normal sinus 68
Echocardiogram: EF 62% ( they told me that my heart muscle is 110% as the 60 considered 100% & perfect )
They did also for me by mistake as they supposed to do to other one called Petet (Carotid & vertebrae duplex) & thanks God both were clear & normal . The Dr told me that it is good that i did even by mistake as they indicate an overall arteries condition sonmine are perfect .
What it can be this ache ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
5/14/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Try checking your Blood pressure as you are starting to cool down post-exercise..

Of course we would pay attention to jaw pain being associated with exercise as having potential for it representing angina..

While it is clear from your studies that you do not have any evidence from the studies of coronary heart disease it is possible that other mechanisms to cause angina COULD be at work in your case...

Too high of blood pressure in otherwise healthy heart COULD lead to angina.. natural rise in BP with exercise..

It may be that you push your endurance and degree of exertion too much...

I would suggest to back off your routine 10 to 20 percent and see if that helps to alleviate the symptom..

I can't say that the jaw pain is a "good" symptom..

The degree of significance may not be that bad but i would continue to pay attention and try to modify your routine to see if that helps..

Extreme exertion might be stressing the heart in terms of its oxygen or energy needs as possible..

Coronary artery spasm could be a mechanism >> "Prinzmetal's angina" ...

I would monitor an discuss further symptoms with your cardiologist or primary care doctor ..

I hope that this information is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.

i will be happy to get back with you.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you mean it may be angina after all these tests ?I forgot to mention that the pain is seconds .

Hello again,

Yes it can be angina as it sounds that you are probably pushing TOO HARD ..

Even a normal heart may be pushed too hard .. if you ask the heart muscle to go beyond its natural limits in terms of oxygen capacity of energy capacity such as glucose stores then YES you can have transient angina symptoms...

It is reassuring that the pain is so brief..

That aspect is good..

I would suggest that a bit lighter shorter work out may be healthier for you...

Try to aim for being HEALTHY >> NOT INVINCIBLE!! I think that a mild reduction of intensity is likley to clear the brief symptom ...

I hope that this is helpful and makes sense.

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sometimes i feel this ache when i bend my head down without any exertions.

Hello again,

Well that may suggest a different type of cause. The lower jaw is given nerve supply by the mandibular branch of the Trigeminal nerve ( the upper facial aspect)

UNDER the jaw is from a upper cervical nerve from the upper neck so the position of the neck or a nerve compression is another possible cause..

Pain with bending head down sounds more of a nerve compression type cause...

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion..

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have paracentral disk protrusion c5 & c6 with severe neck pain .

Hello again,

The cervical disk disease may highly suggest a nerve root compression as the cause ( particularly if pain underside of jaw ) but level of compresion may be higher than C5/6 as causing that symptom ....The local problem there plus neck pain does more suggest a nerve compression ....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You made me paniced when i red angina . I am anexious about my health . Then i googled what you wrote about prinzmetal angina but they mentioned that it can occur for 2 persons every 100 person & it cause severe pain & it can happen during exercise & in rest .
I work out daily & it happen to me sometimes not all the times & it happen when i jump like doig burpees .

Hello again,

There can be heart related pain (= angina ) but without coronary heart disease... Too fast a heart rate too long can cause ... Too high of blood pressure can cause ... Anemia can cause ... The spasm of arteries can cause .. So all types of angina are not the same and do not imply the same risk as to fear of heart attack for example ...

Still in your case of jaw pain your more detailed history with the neck pain and the positional trigger of this pain makes it sound LESS likely to be any type of angina but more likely a nerve compression type cause ...

So I agree that your heart tests look reassuring !!!

That is a very important point here !!

The nerve compression mechanism seems more likely ...

I hope that this is helpful for you!

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor