DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I asked you a question about my stomach issue at end of

I asked you a question about my stomach issue at end of January this year I had hernia repair surgery. Yesterday my doctor did an ultrasound and it showed a possible small abscess in upper abdomen which could be related from my surgery. I am not schedule to see surgeon until June 16 is there any possibility that abscess could get bigger or even rupture before I get in to see surgeon.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any symptoms such as fever, pain? Any medications?

Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

What kind of hernia was it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a fever for a few days but it has gone down when I saw my doctor yesterday it was at 99.1 my temperature. And type of hernia is that it was located above navel at a previous surgery site from exploratory surgery I had in 2000 which they didn't find anything during the exploratory surgery in 2000.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The possibility is that if an abscess is can get bigger, and not so much rupture as spread infection. Although, this might not happen at all.

I would ask your surgeon to move up the appointment to go over this immediately.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is exactly what the Ultrasound revealed if you know anything about the terminology used in the results. It says an elongated anechoic collection in the anterior abdominal wall measuring about 2.5cm in lenght and having a height of about 5mm. There is surrounding hypoechogenicity.What exactly does this all mean like the terms: anechoic collection and the term surrounding hypoechogenicity all mean I don't know what those words mean and what this results mean, if I should be concern or if while in Sweden for three weeks if there is anything I should look out for for worsening signs or conditions. Since I don't see the surgeon until after I get back from Sweden see the surgeon on June 16th.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

This means there is a consolidated mass, like an abscess and swelling around it. Basically.

That is about as clear as an ultrasound will get.

A CT scan or MRI will show much more exact definitition.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of sign if any with what showed up on Ultrasound that I have worse pain almost most of the time in that area. What could it be a sign of for the abscess and swelling that I can feel more pain. Do you think it could be turning into anything serious and if so how serious and what could it be a sign of and what do you think the surgeon would do, will I have to go through another surgery or anything like that.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hi

It is already serious to have it.

My answer is the same.

Yes, antibiotics, maybe it has to require surgery, maybe not.

Worsening pain is a sign you need intervention.

The surgeon will either start antibiotics or go in and clean it up.

Please click a positive rating at the top of this page.

Come back as needed after that.