Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I recently noticed that if I pressed on my stomach area

Customer Question

I recently noticed that if I pressed on my stomach area (middle and sides) I feel small little bubble like bumps under my skin. If I lay down and examine myself- I don't feel them? What could this be? Anything to be worried about??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Are you in good health otherwise? If so, these small lumps may be subcutaneous (under the skin) lipomas (fatty balls) or fat collections in the omentum, a protective apron of fat and connective tissue that protects our internal organs. These are completely benign and nothing to worry about. If you desire confirmation of this, see your family doctor and have the area examined. If there is any doubt, a CT can be ordered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am! I figured that's what they were.. Thank you so much for reassuring me. Do you think I should further look into it or it most likely is this?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. These lumps are most likely benign, though there is no substitute for being examined and having this confirmed. :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually visited a stomach doctor a few months ago and he felt my belly.. If he felt something unusual . I'm sure he would have said
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
I agree. He would likely have said something if he were concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
This is reassuring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
though I didn't feel these then- I could have had them for years and just never looked lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could also add that I had 2 babies-2 cesections.. If that means anything
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would losing weight after having a baby cause this??
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

You likely had this to a lesser extent for many years. The stress of weight gain during pregnancy, including the replacement of muscle with fat, and then rapid weight loss with delivery can contribute to this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if I am in good health other wise, I don't have to further investigate this ?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

I can't say that with certainty without examining you, of course, but what I have outlined above is a common cause of small lumps under the skin of the abdomen in otherwise healthy individuals. Also, you were examined a few months ago by a specialist, correct? If you are having any stomach issues, make a follow up appointment with him, and you can have this finding addressed as well.