DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have been sick for a while and can;t figure out what's

Customer Question

I have been sick for a while and can;t figure out what's really wrong- I kind of feel like I have the flu or a virus- anyway I went in my PC 2 weeks ago- she listened to my chest and said it was clear- but gave me anitbiotics 'just in case'= I did not take them because I really don't think they help a virus- anyway I also went and had a chest xray this last weekend at the urgent care because I was feeling so tired I thought maybe I had bronchitis- but still the xray is clear- they did blood and said my monocytes are elevated 12.9 but that is isn't a lot -but may be a sign I'm fighting a virus - also my MCHC was 33 just a tiny bit low- all of the other blood was normal ( a cbc differential- she called it)- but on the xray she says I have a slightly enlarged heart- now is this anything to worry about or is in response to a virus? I am overweight at 210 5'6 and am taking med for hypertension but it seems controlled- I am wondering though if this could explain the major fatigue that I have- ? as luck would have it my favorite PC is not back on till Monday and I have made an appointment to follow up- but I'm just wondering if I should be freaked out about the heart thing-? I have no chest pains
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

First, you need an echocardiogram.

You could have early heart failure and fatigue is a symptom of this.

Have thyroid studies to make sure you are not hypothyroid, also causes fatigue.

I would do these two right away.

No indication for antibiotics.

A viral infection is only one cause of an enlarged heart, hypertension is another.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it ok to wait till Monday when I have an appointment with my PC? its one week from today
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I see no reason that you can not, unless you develop new or worsening symptoms.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/