Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My daughter had a scheduled C-Section and is Bipolar and on

Customer Question
multiple medications for Bipolar was...
My daughter had a scheduled C-Section and is Bipolar and on multiple medications for Bipolar was given a anesthesia block. Incision opened up with old blood squiting out. Sent to ER 24 hours later. CT scan done . DX with hydronephrosis. Wearing catheter. UA was done came back positive for cocaine. She has been in site for entire time. No illegal drug use was done. Now trying to take baby away. I need some guidance.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Can give list of medications that she has had during this period if needed. Just need to prove that the meds didn't metabolize or caused the false positive.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
5/7/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you know what type of test was done on the urine that was positive for cocaine?

What medicines is she taking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just a regular UA for drug screening. She takes: Ibuprofen 800 mg one tablet twice a day, Seroquel 400 mg at HS, Trazadone 100 mg @ HS, Dilaudin 4mg 1-2 tabs every 4 hours as needed for pain, Colace 100mg twice a day, lactalose 30 cc twice a day, Methadone 80 mg every day.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also has a provental inhaler as needed for wheezing

None of these medicines are reported to cause a false positive for cocaine on a urine drug screening test. However, there are some people that can have a false positive urine drug screening test, even if no other medicine is being taken. Since there are false positives that occur on a regular basis, the usual approach if there is a positive screening test would be to then perform a confirmatory test, such as GC/MS.

If the only evidence that exists is a positive urine drug screening test, then she or her attorney should be able to win the argument that no action should be taken until a confirmatory test is done. If that urine specimen was not sent for a confirmatory test, then she can offer to take another urine drug test or a hair drug test. The authorities may prefer a hair drug test, since it will include the period of time when the urine drug screening test was positive.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I can't understand that nothing is causing a false positive due to the fact 2 days after admission to hospital she still tested positive for cocaine per a blood test per my request under the hospitals care with only visitor or contact is myself. I am a nurse and this doesn't make sense. She has hydronephrosis, Hep C and HSV. She also has an open wound from C-Section after 2 surgeries and a Foley catheter
I have done research and know that Ibuprofen can cause false positive. This makes no sense.

Ibuprofen can cause a false positive for marijuana/THC, but it is not reported to cause a false positive for cocaine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what can cause false positive for cocaine other than drug itself?

As I said above, there are some people that can have a false positive urine drug screening test, even if no other medicine is being taken. It is an intrinsic issue with the testing method.

Therefore, the question is not what is causing a false positive, but rather whether it is a false positive, and the method by which it can be determined that it is a false positive is by doing the confirmatory test that I noted above.

If you are a nurse, then you know that there are many rapid tests that are not as accurate as the gold standard. A rapid Strep test is not as accurate as a throat culture. A urine dipstick for leukocytes is not as accurate as a microscopic exam for leukocytes, and neither are as accurate in diagnosing a urine infection as a culture. The screening test for HIV is falsely positive some of the time, so that the confirmatory Western Blot test is routinely done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is the same with urine drug screening tests - it is not as accurate and will sometimes have a false positive. This is intrinsic to the test and not necessarily because the person is taking something to cause the false positive. Certainly, there are some false positives that can be due to certain medicines, but even after all of the known reasons for false positives are excluded, there are still a fair number of false positives that occur. That is why a confirmatory test should be routinely done, such as a GC/MS.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, makes sense. Thank you for your experise

You are very welcome.

Once I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor