Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My mom has stage 4 Good is on oxygen full time and since Sat

Customer Question

My mom has stage 4 Good is on oxygen full time and since Sat everytime she gets in any upright position her oxygen levels drop below 70. She also had chronic bronchitis went to ER Tues with fever, diareah and the initally complaint described above. They have only founded that her Thyroid is elevated is there a possibility this is what caused her oxygen to drop while standing up sitting?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I can't think of anythjng.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

this is Dr. David

elevated thyroid hormone levels will cause her TSH levels to be low (below 0.3) and can increase her metabolism and cause some weight loss over time, and can cause diarrhea as well but usually would not alone cause drops in oxygen when she stands up.

it sounds like her lungs are quite poor

sounds like she has advanced COPD. was she a long time smoker before?

she needs to see an endocrinologist to help slow down the thyroid gland. there are medications like methimazole which can decrease thyroid hormone levels.

she needs a cardiac heart workup by a cardiologist to check for heart weakness.

she needs to see a pulmonlogist lung doctor to see why her lungs are in such bad shape.

if her red blood cell counts are low, she might need a blood transfusion to help bring up her blood levels.

let me know if you have questions