Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Do you think I might have pulled a muscle or have kidney

Customer Question

Do you think I might have pulled a muscle or have kidney stones?
Since this afternoon I have this flank pain that is rather colicky- comes and goes but the intensity is maybe a 2-3 on a 0-10 pain scale.
I noticed that when I bend a certain way it hurts more and I know that mYbe with stones position change doesn't do anything
I had exactly 1 year ago a full abdominal ultrasound nd no kidney stones were seen but I guess they can form in 1 year right?
I am drinking lots and lots of fluids now
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I say the intensity is only a 2 but was with me the whole afternoon and even now
So I can feel it
It does towards the sides a little such as in the lateral hip area
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Pain with kidney stones can vary in intensity from 1-10.

So, it could still be a stone regardless of the fact that you had a scan previously that was negative.

Sometimes stones are missed on ultrasound so the best test to pick up a stone is a CT scan.

So there still is a possibility that you could be having a stone and I would recommend that you should have a CT scan to have this diagnosed and ruled out.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to get this done even if the pain goes away and does not come back?
It seems like the two ibuprofen I took did not do anything
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

If the pain does not go away in the next 12-24 hours you must have this done.

If the pain worsens you should have this evaluated in the ER.

If you start having other symptoms like fever, vomiting etc you must be seen in the ER.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner, as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards