How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64993
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I used fentanyl for over 10 years it helped alot my quality

Customer Question

i used fentanyl for over 10 years it helped alot my quality of life was great for a 68 year old. my pain dr said we had to change . in 3 years i have tryed alot. my quality of life is at a 2. I am in chico calif. is there a doctor that can help here
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


Doctors can not advertise that they would give you fentanyl.

You have to work with a pain management doctor, and you have to work WITH the doctor.

They decide on which medication, but you can certainly give your history of what has worked.

You have the right to change pain doctors, but you can not enter a pain management contract with any guarantee that you will get fentanyl. In fact, it is a bad way to approach things.

If you have tried your doctors way and it is not working, the next step is

feedback to him.

If he won't listen you have to change doctors.

Here is a reliable list

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

I would look for a PMNR doctor in your area

they are generally superior at treating pain.

what is your zip code?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


PM&R doctors, by their training, are not specifically pain management doctors.

Some have that training and some do not.

Their specialty is the manual medicine aspect of medicine, so helping to correct structural problems.

This is really beyond your question, but I will tell you that many of them will not handle chronic narcotic use, so in this sense you would be pursuing a course that will waste your time.

Because of the pressure by the DEA on narcotics prescriptions, pain management specialists are often the only doctors willing to prescribe these chronically.

Find me as needed. I am here daily for correct, accurate and safe answers.