Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

How can I find out if I am allergic to the surgical clips

Customer Question

How can I find out if I am allergic to the surgical clips left in my abdomen after radical hysterectomy? I have had terrible stomach pain and swelling ever since and despite numerous tests they keep telling me nothing is wrong. I am at my end , I need an answer please
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. OK. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Not sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

most like you are not allergic to the surgical clips from your surgery.

they are made with stainless steel or titanium metal which people really are not allergic to.

but you can have scar tissue from your hysterectomy which can cause severe abdominal pains.

prior abdominal surgery can cause scar tissue around your bowels which can cause partial bowel obstruction and severe pain

constipation and small hard stools can cause diverticulosis severe pains in your bowels as well.

have you had problems with constipation?

sometimes scar tissue can be hard to see on CT or even MRI scans of the abdomen.