Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I need some help, I'm freaking out and I have bad anxiety.

Customer Question
Last Monday night I woke...
I need some help, I'm freaking out and I have bad anxiety. Last Monday night I woke up in the middle of the night with extremely bad post nasal drip, the next day I felt kind of achy like I was coming down with something, then since then so for about a week now I have had a very bad sore throat like almost painful, I went to the doctor on Friday and he did a strep test but that came back negative, this morning when I blew my nose what came out was pretty gross but the thing I'm freaking out about is not only in the back of my tongue feels swollen but more so in the left side way way down in my throat hurts and it's almost like throbbing especially when I swallow and burning a little, i am so worried this is something very bad like cancer. And I have been trying to quit smoking, what if it's too late!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
5/2/2016
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Cancer does not come on suddenly like this, associated with postnasal drip and sore throat. You may have an upper respiratory infection that is draining down into the back of the throat, more on the affected side. This is very common.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no antibiotic will help? That's what I have been told

Antibiotics would help if it were bacterial in origin, but your strep test was negative so it is probably viral. These types of viral URIs are very very common and typically resolve within 7-10 days at most.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Today is the seventh day since it started, it started as really really bad post nasal drip, what's scaring me about this is when I swollen the back of my tongue is swollen but it hurts down where my Adam's apple is but behind that

There may be a focal ulcer or area of inflammation in the lower part of the throat. This can be from PND or a scrape from a pill or piece of food that injured the mucous membrane. Follow your doc's advice for the next 3 days. If things do not improve a lot by then, make a follow up appointment with him. If things worsen a lot, get a second opinion from an express care clinic or the ER.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I worried this is cancerous, when I swallow it almost feel like something is there and it hurts!!

It's probably a focal area of inflammation. This feels painful and a little like a foreign body stuck in the mucosa. It can become a lot worse if one has heartburn and stomach acid gets into it. Either way, this will improve. If it doesn't improve within the next 3-4 days, see your doc and ask about a referral to ENT. They can stick a small camera down the back of your throat and take a look.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been on Prevacid for a long time, I am trying to lose weight and I had a salad for lunch and a little pasta and I'm sitting here now and besides the throat pain I feel the food kind of just sitting there and if I burp I can taste the cucumbers I had in my salad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm so worried that this is a tumor or cancer!!

Prevacid reduces the acidity of the reflux, but does not stop it from coming up into your throat. Try taking maalox or mylanta (or milk of magnesia if you are prone to constipation). These liquid antacids coat the throat, reduce acid and generally help with this sort of thing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All I have is Zantac

You need a liquid antacid. They are available over-the-counter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Zantac won't work?

Probably not if you are already on prevacid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any liquid antacid? I'm freaking out that this is a tumor or cancer in my throat!!

Don't worry about that...not gonna happen. Treat with prevacid, liquid antacid and reflux precautions (see below).

Follow up with your doctor in 3-5 days if not better.

ACID REFLUX PRECAUTIONS ACID REFLUX can be a possible cause of throat irritation. Acid reflux is a disorder where acid from your stomach is abnormally spilled over onto your voice box after eating, during sleep, or even during singing. Acid reflux causes irritation and inflammation to your vocal folds and should be avoided and treated by changing eating habits, changing lifestyle, and taking medication (if prescribed by your doctor).

CHANGING EATING HABITS  Avoid “trigger” foods. Certain foods and drinks can trigger acid reflux. 1. Caffeine- in coffee, tea, chocolate, sodas 2. Carbonated beverages 3. Mint and menthol 4. Fatty/fried foods 5. Citrus fruits 6. Tomato products 7. Spicy foods 8. Alcohol  Drink 8 glasses of water per day (64oz)

CHANGING LIFESTYLE HABITS  Stop smoking  Avoid clearing your throat  Allow 3 hours between last big meal and going to bed at night  Keep yourself upright for one hour after you eat  Elevate the head of your bed using 6-inch blocks under the head of the bed or a bed wedge between the box spring and the mattress.  Eat small meals throughout the day rather than 3 big meals  Eat slowly  Wear loose clothing

TAKING ACID-BLOCKER  If prescribed one time a day, take 15-30 minutes before breakfast  If prescribed two times a day, take 15-30 minutes before breakfast and 15- 30 minutes before dinner. Take liquid antacids as needed to soothe throat.

CHANGING THE WAY YOU USE YOUR VOICE- “Best voice/ Least effort”

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last question, what did you mean by "don't have to worry about it, not gonna happen"?

Cancer. There is no need to worry about this at this time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know what you mean by at this time?

You can start worrying about it again when you're 70. :-)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
being 37 is too young? Also I just ate something and it felt like pieces of food were sticking a little because it made me keep coughing and then when I coughed I coughed up a little snot which was kind of brownish in color, what's happening to me?

That would be consistent with phlegm in the throat from postnasal drip or bronchitis.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told by my doctor on Friday that my lungs were clear

The lungs are clear with bronchitis, which is an infection in the tubes only.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is a viral infection in the tubes? If so this type of throat pain and being sore is common with this?
Sore throat, bodyaches, cough are all symptoms of a bad cold or flu. It can center in the sinuses (sinusitis) or the chest (bronchitis) or even the intestines (gastroenteritis ).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 2-3 weeks ago I had the flu which led into bronchitis and then 2 weeks ago I went on vacation for a week and then two days after I get back I get this! I know I'm overweight and have a lot of weight to lose and I have to eat right and excercise and stop the smoking, is this why I keep getting sick?

These are risk factors, yes.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor