Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Back of my left hand is swollen for the third day thinking

Customer Question

back of my left hand is swollen for the third day thinking it is gout I am taking allinpurnall once a day
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: middle finger I think has some arthritis first knuckle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: 220 lbs age 60 5'9" tall, history of gout in left knee and big toe
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it is definitely possible that you may be having an acute attack of gout. If this is the case, then you would have severe pain in the hand, swelling, redness in the region. This would also be accompanied with difficulty in moving the fingers of the hand. This would be diagnosed on a clinical examination and you may even need a xray of the hand. Now the treatment of acute attack is usually with the help of simple NSAIDs like aleve or motrin however the best drug here is indomethacin. Another drug which is used is colcichine if the NSAIDs dont work. Lastly if all else fails you can be started on steroids.

Apart from the gout you could also have infection of the hand especially if you have had some sort of trauma to the hand or have an underlying condition like diabetes. This could be something like cellulitis which would need antibiotics to be treated.

For now i would suggest that you start using OTC NSAIDs like aleve twice a day and apply topical voltaren gel on the area and in the meantime schedule an appointment with your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.

Do you have any more questions?

Do you have any more questions?If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.