How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 45992
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After my mother passed away (8 years ago), my father re-married.

Customer Question

After my mother passed away (8 years ago), my father re-married. He is now 78 and in generally poor health. I think he may have dementia or alzheimers. His wife says she has to help him with everything and is really getting worn down. He gets very angry with her and is calling me and my sister almost constantly wanting us to come get him and take him back to his house. No matter where he is, he wants to go "some other place".
Is there some medical evaluation that would help provide advice for us? We want whats best for all involved, but dont want to make those decisions without adequate consultation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou have to bring your father to see a doctor to get an evaluation to see if he does in deed have dementia or alzheimers.there are treatments like Aricept or Namanda which can help treat his symptoms.he could have a metabolic disorder causing his dementiahe would need a brain MRI scan and neurological evaluation.he may benefit from seeing a neurologist.we can't do medical evaluations onlinecan you get him to see a primary care doctor?