Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Knee pain as if I twisted it. Tightness in the calf and

Customer Question
angels sometimes swell. JA: OK. The...
Knee pain as if I twisted it. Tightness in the calf and angels sometimes swell.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: It started with the knee pain. I believe my puppy jumping on me may have caused it. My calf muscles are tight. My ankles sometimes feel swollen.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
4/26/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

how old are you?

age can factor in and increase risks for arthritis in the knee or tendonitis in the knee

dehydration, lack of potassium or magnesium in your blood system can cause tight calf muscles or muscle cramps

swollen ankles on both sides can be a sign of fluid retention, too much salt in your diet can cause fluid retention

physical therapy and stretching and muscle strengthening in your legs and thighs and calf cough help support your joints better and help decrease tightness.

when was the last time you saw your primary care doctor?

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

The swelling, if on one side more than the other, and if on the painful side, needs to be evaluated for blood clot.

The swelling in both legs is more likely from

a. thyroid disease

b. heart, or kidney problems.

c. More rarely liver disease.

If the swelling dents when you push in with your finger, these are the problems potentially.

Do not assume it is simply salt.

Get evaluated right away.

The knee requires exam.

A sudden pain like this, without noticeable injury, just as one example, could represent degeneration of the cartilage under the knee cap.

Or, other degenerative processes.

Exam and imaging will most likely be needed.

Any idea of what it is without exam is a guess only.

You might need an MRI of the knee, if indicated by examination.

There are many possibilities right now for your knee: I can think of a dozen...so , exam there also.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me daily by request for correct and comprehensive answers.

Please click a positive on the rating scale at the top of this page: I'll get paid by just answer.

Then let me know if you have more questions.

This is Dr. David

that is why I asked you what your age was

younger age of between 20-30 years old, you are less likely to have heart or liver disease which are causing swelling in both of your ankles.

if you are older, like 60 or 70 years old, then you could be having new heart weakness or liver or kidney problems which can cause swelling in your ankles or tightness in your ankles.

salt intake can cause fluid retention and swelling.

must be one big puppy.

Hello

Different types of heart disease [cardiomyopathy for example] and kidney disease [autoimmune kidney disease, etc.] and thyroid disease can occur at any age.

Young or old, you need an evaluation as I have depicted.

Find Dr. Thomas here, any day, for correct, safe, comprehensive answers.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor [taking care of patients first line for over 20 years].

See my profile.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician