Erika Abraham
Erika Abraham,
Experience:  Staff Internist at United States Air Force
93886366

I keep getting blisters on my fingers, and I don't know why

Customer Question

I keep getting blisters on my fingers, and I don't know why they keep coming back. I have an orchestra festival tomorrow night, and I have a blister on the pad of one of my fingering fingers, and I don't
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Know what to do about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help me.
Expert:  Erika Abraham replied 1 year ago.

It is possible you may have herpes simplex I (or herpetic whitlow) which is usually self-limiting meaning it will go away on its own but you can use topical acyclovir 5% or penciclovir which may shorten the duration of symptoms. To prevent future flares, you can request oral acyclovir from your doctor. The other option would be contact dermatitis for which you can use an over the counter hydrocortisone 1% cream. Check if there is any new soaps, shampoos, lotions you may be using. May wear gloves until tomorrow. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The festival is tonight.
Your best bet is to try antiinflammatory medications (ibuprofen, naproxen) and maybe ice it to bring down any swelling and pain. After the festival tonight, be sure to do the same and rest it as much as possible. If it is a viral
Infection, it may take up to 2-3 weeks to clear up.