Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was diagnosed with Graves about 9 years ago. Have not had

Customer Question
Hi, I was diagnosed with Graves...
I was diagnosed with Graves about 9 years ago. Have not had any problems since then. I was only on medication for about 3-months. Then every thing seemed to normalize. At least I have felt ok ever since then... no problems or issues. My question today is prompted by a recent blood test. My Absolute Eosinophils are at 2212 cells. My understanding is the normal range is between 15 - 500. Should I be concerned??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
4/18/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

High eosinphils may be chronic if you have an allergic condition such as asthma.... It can also be elevated if you have a parasitic infection. Most parasitic infections would be of the GI tract or pulmonary systems. I think worth discussing with your primary care doctor . ...It may be prudent to send stool for culture / ova and paste testing / chest xray / liver function enzymes ....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No allergies. No asthma. No diarrhea. Normal and regular bowel movements... two times a day like clockwork. Let me know if you have any additional comments in regards ***** ***** and Graves disease.

Hello again,

The high eosinophils is probably NOT at all related to the Graves disease.. Graves is caused antibodies vs the thyroid tissue..

Some people will chronically run high eosinophil counts.. they could be seasonal as a possibility too which would be common especially in the spring with people having reaction to pollens...

Graves may flare and then quiet down as in your case which would be a good outcome.. Graves more typically causes problem chronic hyperthyroid symptoms which more usually requires more treatment ( symptoms of heat intolerance, rapid pulse, weight loss, insomnia, anxiety, etc..)

So if you lack any symptoms then I would not worry about the rise in eosinophils...it may be seasonal and transient..

I hope that this is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor