Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Bray Within the last few months we have been discussing

Customer Question
Hi Dr Bray Within the last...
Hi Dr Bray
Within the last few months we have been discussing various flu like viruses I have been having. I just got over a second bout with the flu. I want to ask your opinion about some recent blood work. I have had a history of reactivation of Epstein Barr for the past 25 years. My rheumatologist ordered a series of tests. Similar tests I have done in the past. Lupus and sed rates normal. ANA is positive. It tends to run positive. EBV shows positive. Ebv Viral Capsid AG IgM positive, Ebv viral capsid Ag IgG positive, EBV Early antigen, IgG positive. early antigen IgG negative. Dr suggested Valtrex for one month. I tend to get these results frequently. Have you heard of Valtrex working and used as treatment for this? Also I have another concern, my potassium levels were 5.1. Normally it is in the 4's. It was 4.4 in November. Creatine is went from .67 to .71. I am taking Losartan with HTZ. When I had done the blood test I had only been taking the HTZ component for about a week. Was taking it in the past but stopped it for awhile. Been on losartan since last June. The reason for this email is I am so weak and fatigued today. Was in the store running errands had to come home and lie down. Very drowsy and very weak. Would potassium levels cause this? I felt better yesterday, not so weak. These blood tests were drawn last Tuesday.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
4/17/2016
Doctor: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have a copy of your lab report to upload?

How long has this been going on?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have had Ebv reactivation since my late 20's and I am now 51. Just been sickly lately so dr decided to run them. Potassium and Creatine levels is a different question from EBV. Having trouble attaching my files for some reason. to large. Let me try scanning. I took a photo of them. May be later tonight.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
See if these came thru

Got them :)

There is nothing horrible on those test results or anything that would account for you feeling very drowsy and weak. Also, I very much doubt your potassium level is causing this either...

At this point, if your regular MD is not helping you might consider getting a second opinion. Please allow me to explain:

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been to so many drs. The best one I saw was from National Jewish Hospital in Colorado. He was an expert in the EBV virus and felt like I have difficulty getting rid of it. I moved from there and my drs now are from University of Michigan which is a teaching hospital. They don't seem to help much. The Rheumatologist I see diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. I have had a few bouts this last month where I will feel like I am coming down with something and can't seem to do anything. Very weak and fatigued and lethargic. I also feel achey all over like I am running a fever but have none. Similar to flu aches. I use to get this a lot in my 20's when dr. in Colorado said it was EBV. I seemed to develop this when I was pregnant with my second child. Now I am going through the change of life at 51 and think that is playing a role. Not sure I should take Valtrex. I need to find someone that can interpret my EBV results. My results always come back like the ones I showed you. Nothing ever changes. Not sure if this is where my symptoms are coming from. I also had a c4a that was 10000. No one seems to know why this is.

Thank you for that additional information.

Given what you have posted I do not feel valtrex will do any good.

This may be something that you are just going to have to live with....

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD