How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65289
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to stop drinking alcohol completely and I have

Customer Question

I want to stop drinking alcohol completely and I have gabapentin and lorazapam.
Will that prevent seizures?
I have been drinking one to two bottles of wine daily for 3 months.
Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.


I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you now.

I want you to wean the consumption instead of suddenly stopping it. Have /2 bottle for 15 days. 1/4 bottle for another 15 days and then stop. Continue the tablets, Gabapentin and Lorazepam.

You will have no chances of withdrawl symptoms this way.

Any questions ask me, or request to leave a positive rating.


Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.



Do not do this on your own.

You need a doctor to monitor you.

Depending on your symptoms, it has to be done in the hospital.

Not at home.

And not by yourself, which can be very dangerous.

We do not treat here. WE do not replace your doctor.

I would not use the gabapentin at all.

It is not indicated.

You also need


12 step group

correct nutritional therapy.

Withdrawal can also be dangerous without thiamine and sugar, which often must be delivered IV.

You MUST work with a doctor who knows you , can examine you, and admit you if needed.

Self withdrawal with meds is completely against the standard of care in the US, for good reasons, do not do it.

Lorazepam also is not necessarily the med for you, and your doctor needs to decide this.

And, even on meds, you can still have symptoms or even seizures, and you need a doctor monitoring for this.

I have worked with this situation [in the US] for over 20 years and am profoundly experienced in this area.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me as needed.

Please click a positive rating on this page.