Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I take testosterone cypionate once a week. Tonight I did my

Customer Question
injection. I think I might...
I take testosterone cypionate once a week. Tonight I did my injection. I think I might have hit a vein or something. There was a drop of blood on the injection site when I removed the needle. Is this something that I should seek immediate medical attention. I have a slight burn in the area. Very very slight. 1/20.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
4/14/2016
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

If you drew back on the plunger before pressing the plunger to administer the medicine and there was no blood return, then it is not a concern that you may have injected the medicine into a vein. The fact that there is blood on the injection site or even a drop of blood on the tip of the needle is not a concern, as this can frequently appear from hitting a capillary.

If you do not routinely draw back on the plunger before pressing the plunger, then that is something that is a good habit to develop. If you did not do this during this injection, it is still very likely that you did not inject a vein. However, if you did not draw back on the plunger and cannot be certain whether it was injected into a vein, it still would not be necessary for you to seek immediate medical attention. The only concern would be whether the oil in the testosterone cypionate mixture could cause problems in the lungs if injected into a vein. So, if you start having any shortness of breath or other lung symptoms, it would be appropriate to be seen, but as long as no lung symptoms develop, then there is no need for medical attention.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Contains testosterone cypionate 200mg
Benzyl benzocaine,0.2 ml
Benzyl alcohol,9.45 added as preservative
Cottonseed oil,560 mg I took 1 Mls. Breathing is fine.

Yes, it is the cottonseed oil that is the component that can cause problems if there is an accidental injection into a vein. The benzocaine and benzyl alcohol may cause some local irritation, but the real health concern that would require attention would be the effect of the oil in the lungs. As long as your breathing is fine, then you do not need to seek immediate medical attention.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should keep an eye on my breathing. How long should I keep an eye on this before I know i will for sure be fine. Few hours. Or a day.

If it will cause problems with breathing, it will happen within a couple hours.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor