Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

My cell count was 12.7 and I have periodontal pockets and

Customer Question

My white cell count was 12.7 and I have periodontal pockets and gum infection. Could this cause the high white cell count?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: What kind of information do you need?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: Just that I worried about the high white blood cell and want to explore possible reason and/or rule out leukemia.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 1 year ago.

Elevated white blood cell count has many causes with the most common being an infection. Given that you currently have an infection that would be the likely cause. Also a wbc of 12.7 is only mildly elevated unlike leukemia which is typically much higher than that. If you truly want to rule out leukemia, have your cbc done again with a differential but in a few weeks after the infection has been treated.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Let me know if you have any other questions