Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I developed a "creeping" sensation in the throat, like

Customer Question

I developed a "creeping" sensation in the throat, like reverse perestalsis. Worse at night, and then also with strange sounds that interfere with sleep. I also have reflux.
The constant feeling of fullness and upward motion in the lower pharynx/upper esophagus is driving me literally.. nuts.
is this an early cancer symptom, or the result of reverse perestalsis or other LES or UES dysfunction?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome.

Your symptoms are most likely due to acid reflux but another condition called sleep apnea ( which is characterised by loud snoring and sudden breaks in sleep with shortness of breath ) can not be ruled out. I would suggest you to treat your reflux first that would improve your symptoms. Omeprazole 20 mg a day would help along with life style changes. Take dinner at least 2 hours before going to sleep, walk for 30 minutes after dinner, avoid caffeine and alcohol, avoid smoked spicy fatty foods. Take lots of water. If symptoms do not improve you need to visit your GP for thorough examination to rule out sleep apnea.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating.

Best.