Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have done this a lot but I am very convinced something

Customer Question
Good evening. I have done...
Good evening. I have done this a lot but I am very convinced something abnormal is going on. Today at work, out of no where, my legs got cold, my face got pale, and I got really hot. I wasn't sweating but I felt the heat like I was practically over a stove. I went to the hospital and they did and ekg, which was normal, and blood work which came back fine. I've had a few episodes while on a holter monitor of sinus bradycardia. My heart pauses for a few seconds then kicks back up. I have not been able to sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time. I have headaches constantly. I also have bloating and reflux plus muscle and joint stiffness to where it feels difficult to move. All of these symptoms started accumulating after I had a pleural effusion which was caused by a virus. If you have any insight please let me know. I've seen my pcp and he thinks it's just anxiety, but I don't believe it because I'm generally calm.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
4/12/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

How low your heart rate is dropping to during these episodes?

There is a condition called tachy-brady syndrome --heart rate fluctuates too much causing symptoms.

That often requires pacemaker insertion to stabilize the heart rate.

Other possibilities include hyperthyroidism or thyroid gland over activity, autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I was in the hospital Christmas Eve and it was in the 40s. I just previously had an ep study earlier that dAy which the doctor said it was clear. These episodes with my heart only happen when I'm sleeping. As far as the RA and thyroid. I've been tested for both. Unless it was a false negative, those came back clear also.

In that case, you may have to discuss with your cardiologist again as low heart rate is the likely problem here.

Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had an ep study that came up fine though. Could it still be my heart rate or is it possible for it to be something else?

Yes it still can be heart related.

EP study may also miss diagnosis sometimes.

Repeated testing is helpful.

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist