How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5431
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For the past week I've had discomfort in the upper right

Customer Question

For the past week I've had discomfort in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen, right under the breast bone. It started as a popping sensation when walking or deep breathing and went away as long as I put light pressure on it while walking. It went away for a day or so. Then it came back as a dull ache that comes and goes no matter what I'm doing and is made worse when bending over or putting pressure on it. Only gentle circular massage seems to relieve it in the moment. It comes and goes. After just eating a meal that was greasy, I felt slightly nauseus. What could this be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Are you in good health otherwise? Are you currently taking any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 2 years ago and was taking 60mg of Cymbalta per day. However, my symptoms diminished over time and I stopped taking the Cymbalta 3 months ago. I'm 32 years old, 5'3'' and very overweight at about 250lbs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not taking any medications and haven't taken any for this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Your symptoms are suggestive of a problem with the gallbladder. Have you had issues like this before? When stones or sludge are present in the gallbladder there may be slowing or obstruction of the flow of bile into the small intestine. This back pressure can result in pain, bloating, burping, nausea, etc...typically after a large meal or after eating oily or fatty foods. These symptoms can come and go for a long time or can worsen dramatically with blockage of the gallbladder draining tube. It would be a good idea to have your GP examine you and order both blood tests and a RUQ ultrasound to rule this out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. is there anything i can do to alleviate this if that is the cause?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't had anything like this before. I had an emergency appendectomy 10 years ago, that was all.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if the problem is the GB you would want to avoid large meals and fatty or oily foods. You would want to stay well hydrated and take an anti-inflammatory if you tolerate them. Consider a trial of simethicone ((e.g. Gas-X) to reduce pressure in the GI tract from excess gas. Consider stool softeners as well if you are prone to constipation as this can exacerbate the problem. Finally, make an appointment with your GP so that he or she can confirm the diagnosis and check other organ systems in that area such as the liver, the pancreas and the stomach. There are other medications you may need to keep your symptoms under good control.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Do have any follow up questions about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel nauseous and its hurting right now. Do you know any immediate remedies?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

There is no quick fix for a gallbladder problem, whether it be stones, sludge or an infection. Typically the symptoms come and go, but eventually many individuals need to have surgery to fix the problem definitively. The only way to know for sure what is going on and if something needs to be done right away is to get an ultrasound. For this reason, it would be prudent to go to see your GP or go to an express care and let them know what is going on. They can do the required tests and provide you with medication to ease the pain and nausea.