Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I believe I contracted some food poisoning about 4 days ago

Customer Question
Hello, I believe I contracted...
Hello, I believe I contracted some food poisoning about 4 days ago from some Chinese takeout. In that time I had also caught some kind of respitory bug going around my work. My question is regarding the food poisoning. About two hours after I ate the Chinese takeout on Wednesday (approx. 730pm) I had the worst diareah I've ever expienced. I assumed it was food poisoning by how quickly my body rejected it. However I was worried about the color. It appeared to be very dark green. So dark that it was difficult to tell if it was green or not. There was broccoli in the meal, so I figured that's what it was. The day after that I only ate a single ham sandwich, the next day I had one McDonald's meal, yesterday I had 3 cans of soup, and today I have had nothing so far. In that time my BM'S have not been nearly as bad as they were Wednesday. Even though I haven't been eating a lot. I have frequent gas, and sometimes still some diarreah in the same color, but more solid, but broken up or stringy. I had taken 2 loperamide last night, and two more just about an hour ago. My concern is with the color of the stool. Could some of that bad food STILL be in there? It's been 4 days. I've been to the urgent care twice, and the ER once since this started. I've only had a slight fever, (never over 100) and there has been no blood in my stool. I am a MAJOR hypochondriac, so I'm sure I'm just giving myself panic attacks for nothing. But how soon should I be expecting these digestion problems to last?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
4/10/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Food poisoning should improve in 4 days or so.

The toxins are eliminated through diarrhea.

The green color is due to the soft stool and bile pigments as such.

Not concerning.

Did you have stool tests to rule out any bacterial infection?
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you doctor Basu! Hopefully this will make me less anxious. I did not have any tests done while at the doctors, they just felt my stomach and took my vitals.

I will suggest you to get stool tests just to make sure it is not bacterial infection.

That will require antibiotic course.

Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok! Will do! althoigh I haven't eaten anything today, is it still ok to continue taking the loperamide?

You can take loperamide to slow down diarrhea.

Drink plenty of fluids as well.

Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wonderful. Thank you again!

Very welcome

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist