Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have tonsillitis and im seeing my boyfriend on monday and

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** i have tonsillitis and im seeing my boyfriend on monday and have been taking my medication since yesterday. Will it be contagious if he was to kiss me?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well i first started off with fever, vomiting, head ache really bad ear aches and sore throat this all happened on Thursday
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you have strep tonsillitis, you should wait a week, at least.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said that it was caused from bacteria on my tonsils and they gave me amoxycillin
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

This is not necessary

if you have been on antibiotics for 24 hours you are fine

24 hours and you are good

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/tc/strep-throat-treatment-overview

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if ive been on antibiotics for 24hours does that mean it's not contagious?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is the original expert.

That figure is quoted by sources such as web MD and wickipedia and other popular sites.

However, I am a clinician of over 20 years experience, and antibiotics do not always work that quickly.

You need to make sure you are symptom free.

It takes about 6 doses [a few days] of antibiotics to make sure your treatment is at a steady state.

Symptoms often abate starting at about 48 hours.

Some strains are resistant to antibiotics, in which case this would not happen.

Some strep avoid antibiotics

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26866223

Some infections can have a peritonsilar abscess or other problems that delay resolution.

For this reasons, I tell my patients to wait up to 7 days, depending on their symptoms, before intimate oral contact.

Make sure you wait at least a few days and that your symptoms are clearly improving.

Be safe, not sorry.

you are good 24 hours after starting antibiotics. yes